Questions to Ask Your Doctor
Meeting with a doctor about your brain aneurysm is your opportunity to ask questions and understand your options. It is also your opportunity to ensure that you are under the care of a well qualified specialist. Some of the questions below may help you in your decision making
- What are the qualifications of the doctor in managing brain aneurysms (are they board certified, fellowship trained, how much of their practice is devoted to aneurysm treatment)?
- Is aneurysm treatment frequently performed at the center?
- If treatment of the aneurysm is recommended, what are the risks and benefits?
- If observation of the aneurysm is recommended, what are the risks and benefits?
If treatment is recommended:
- What is the recovery time — how long in hospital, how long off work?
- What types of symptoms to expect during recovery?
- What follow-up imaging and visits will be necessary?
If observation is recommended:
- What type of follow-up is recommended?
- What symptoms or signs to watch for and report?